Wednesday, December 3, 2008

We're dreaming of a "green Christmas" just like the ones we used to know!

Our first snow
and it snowed again the next day
and the next day
still snowing!
and still snowing
One day of sunshine and it is snowing again today

Everyone says this is just the beginning so get ready for more.
We are pretty much settled in here and are continuing to learn our way around. Driving in the snow is a different experience for us but Hal is doing well with my instructions from the passenger seat. I am sure that he is getting tired of me telling him to slow down. Last night we were invited to dinner at a ranch house north of town. That was a bit of an adventure driving out there. It was a really beautiful drive but on a dirt road so now I know why all of the cars around here are so dirty. Ours had stayed clean until last night.
We have been getting acquainted by trying to attend a few community events. We went to a Christmas boutique at the Lutheren church and met some very nice people. It was one of those boutiques that not very many people were in attendance and so we felt like we had to buy something but couldn't find anything that we wanted. We did finally see a cute metal star Christmas ornament and some cookies so we didn't look like total losers when we left.
The downtown shops are very fun to go through and since Hal is in a suit and me in a skirt we really stand out in the crowds. A couple of the merchants told us that we are really over dressed for Steamboat. Everyone is casual here. Oh well we are certainly making our presence known.
For a couple of days we spent time at the hospital with a young man named Alberto. His appendix burst and he didn't get to the hospital until it was almost too late. He was a very sick young man and has suffered some brain damage due to the incident. He was very agitated and the hospital staff was having a hard time keeping him calm and getting him to eat so they were asking people to come and sit with him. We finally got him to eat a little night before last. He was afraid to eat because he thought that it was food that made him sick. He doesn't speak much english and we speak very little (like none) spanish so it was fun to try to communicate with him.
We are still trying to figure out what to do on these cold snowy days but I'm sure that will come with time and as we get used to the weather. We kind of feel like we aren't doing enough yet.
We would love to hear from any and all of you. Our email address is hfl@garlic.com that seems to be the easiest form of communication these days.

12 comments:

banananutmeg said...

I love the pictures. Aaron says go knock doors in your apartment complex if you get bored. Ever see the episode where monica gives holiday candy to all her neighbors? You guys can be those neighbors! Send some candy my way too. I like the coconuty chocolate thingies best.

Scott said...

oooh those are my favorties, too. Send us the recipe and some samples to taste against our efforts. I will write more later.

Mamarazzi said...

well since everyone is putting in an order...send me some too.

my back has been out for about a week now. major joint pain in my neck, shoulders and elbows.

gonna go to the dr and see whats wrong with me. probably stress. but it's making life hard and i am not a fun girl...still cute, just not fun.

our trees are up. one has lights and is ready to be decorated.

Paul and Jordan plugged in the outside lights this weekend...yep, no need to HANG them since they were STILL up from last year. when in the ghetto do as the other ghetto dwellers do...yep we are THOSE people.

sigh

we love you and miss you.

hfl said...

I am not sure what candy you are talking about. For the past few years we have depended on Sees for our candy fix and to my knowledge they don't give out their secrets. Dad loves mint truffles. I'll have to look through my recipes and see what I can find. Missionaries like packages too. Oh, and thanks Meg for the slip cover it really cheered up that getto loveseat.

Mom

Scott said...

not candy, mom... the chocolate truffle-balls you used to make. Send those. In fact, just hop in your car and bring em over. You can come inside to warm up while we eat them. We'll let you.

Unknown said...

I was so excited to find your blog! No one tells me anything anymore now that I live east of the Rockies, and I just found out you guys were on a mission! Eric lived in Grand Junction as a kid...they loved it, and you will too!

We miss you guys!

Lydia said...

sorry about that last comment, it was me, Lydia, in case you're wondering who "Jim" is, my father-in-law was still signed in on my computer. I know, too weird. Sorry.

Scott said...

does that count?

annkelsch said...

Ok Lynn, Your place looks great and the snow looks beautiful (think positive)..wish we had some of that moisture here- we need it!!!!Please send me your address Anne

natalie said...

Hey how are you guys? I was wondering if you could send us your address. my email is ndawn10e@yahoo.com
thanks

Scott said...

new post?

Scott said...

how about some pics of mom and dad in their winter duds.